January 23, 2008

Powerful Birth

Well, I did attend a birth yesterday. Every time I go to one, I am in awe at the power of birth and what a woman can do. My client was very active in labor, so I had a lot of work to do. I am very sore today. Her labor was hard and long. She did end up with an epidural, but she labored so well for almost 24 hours and she just got exhausted and wasn't progressing fast enough to keep encouraged. Once she got the epi and was resting, she dilated very quickly so it was probably for the best. She pushed well and didn't tear. The husband was great the whole time. The baby was beautiful. I was really so proud and I hope they are too.
I had 3 births this month- 2 have already happened. One of my clients did not call me when she was in labor. I can't know exactly why, but I guess they thought they didn't need me at the time. I've had this happen before so while I am a little upset, I'm beginning to think that some couples just need prenatal support and not actually birth support. They need someone to talk to who believes in birth and that a woman can do it! I just kinda wish they would let me know this ahead of time so I'm not on call. I still have 1 more and I know she'll call. It is a homebirth also so I am really excited since this will be my first one other than my own.
Being a doula is a job, but it is not like a job for me. If you call seeing mothers be so strong, fathers looking at their wives in awe, and a baby coming into the world just a job, then you have never been at a birth. While I certainly do some hard work (supporting a mom and dad is not easy), it is something I consider to be a privilege. I love my "job"!!!!

No comments: